segunda-feira, 3 de agosto de 2009

My Life Sucks


You would think I am such an idiot for choosing , in these turbulent times, to be a gay and a Jew. I agree you might have a point, although only the second part could be considered a choice. If being gay really was to be a choice one would not be stupid but crazy. My point: Why choose a marginal life when you can have it all, right? Anyway, not that I care much about what you might think of me. I do have a good life, do not get me wrong. The caption My Life Sucks serves only to the purpose of attracting random people with nothing better to do than type stupid sentences in Google and see what comes out. Exactly, people just like you. I sure do have a nice life. I am what you would consider a successful young man, with large international experience and great career prospects. Of course my great looks combined with the fact that I could survive in 7 different languages helps a lot. And I am not just saying that without a reason. I have worked for a multinational IT company for almost 9 years, and two years ago I was lucky enough to be offered relocation from our London offices to this blessed place in South America. The place is São Paulo, which as you probably & wrongly thought, is not in Argentina but in Brazil. (And, for the record, they do not speak Spanish but Portuguese). Because of the simple and superficial fact that I have blue eyes and a fair hair, I knew I would feel welcome. This might come as a surprise to you, but I do get laid much more here than in Europe. At least among Caucasians. During my last three years in Brazil we could say that 100 % of the guys I picked up were Latinos, Asian or mixed race. Not even in mixed Spain, my homeland I was this successful among the horny young men. When I was offered the possibility of moving south I did not think twice. Of course it is far, of course I would not be able to see my family and friends as often, but hey, you only live once. Thanks to msn we can stay in touch with mom from any corner of the planet, so I thought, why not? Adventure, adventure that is just what I so often daydreamt while looking out from the office glass walls opposite my desk and into the rainy streets of west London. I did envision sunny beaches full of dark skinned boys with perfect white teeth playing volley in tight Speedos.

Of course reality proved me wrong, as Sao Paulo is more like NYC or Hong Kong, full of business meaning guys rushing from one place to the other with their lives dangerously depending on their Blacberrys.

Now back to me. My groomed look and lovely boyish smile disguises perfectly the fact that I am approaching the dreaded 40. Over the hill they say. So be it. But before it gets downhill, I am preparing myself and will not be caught off-guard. On workdays I train hard, I run on the treadmill 6 to 9 kms every day. I lift weights and monitor carefully what I take into my mouth in a desperate attempt to stop the time. You really do not have a choice when you are dating someone 20 years younger. Last week as I was lying in the hotel bed next to Matt, exhausted but happy after what you would call a good performance, I asked him: I have been out since beginning of the 90s; looking for you...meeting many nice looking guys but none of them was you, where have you been all this time? Only to immediately realize an amazing and somehow shocking fact, he was being born at that time. Jeez.

Um comentário:

  1. Sorry for the friends who do not talk German, but at the moment I do not feel at all comfortable writing English - Jose's literary style makes me hesitate too much being able of giving a corresponding answer.
    Deshalb gehen wir jetzt lieber auf mein Feld :-)
    Tief beeindrückt bin ich, nicht nur von Deiner Schreibweise auf English, sondern auch von Deiner Ehrlichkeit. Was Du erzählst, kenne ich bereits durch unsere Freundschaft. Es sind die Themen, die immer mehr oder weniger im Hintergrund waren. Das Alter, diese Vierzieger-Kriese, ist wohl nur der Auslöser gewesen, diese Themen ans Licht und auf den Tisch zu bringen. Und ganz bin ich nicht überzeugt, ob Deine angestrebte Lebensänderung überhaupt die ultimative Lösung für Deine Grübeleien ist. Aber wiederum kann ich auch nicht sagen , bleibe bei Deinem täglichen Trott. Solche Gedankengänge - weg vom Geschafften und ab ins neue Leben - hatte ich auch. Fünf Jahre danach frage ich mich, ob meine letzte Lebensänderung überhaupt klug war. Alles Dagewesene habe ich verlassen, weil ich mich meiner Familie gegenüber verpflichtet fühlte. Im Endeffekt stehe ich hier in Valencia ziemlich blöd da. Die Leute in Deutschland haben mich geschätzt, hier bin ich ein Aussenseiter, der von nichts eine Ahnung hat. Meine Themen sind nicht die Themen meiner Umgebung, meinen Wert kennt hier keine Sau, sie merken nur, dass ich vom Leben hier keine blasse Ahnung habe und mit ihnen kaum etwas anfangen kann. Ich sehne mich nach meinen Freunden in D und nach der gesellschaftlichen Anerkennung, die ich drüben genoss. Nun bin ich wie im falschen Film und zweifle immer noch daran, ob ich einen Rückzieher mache. Mein Leben dort war ein gewähltes Leben, dieses hier, mein von Geburt aus aufgestülptes. Es freut mich sehr, dass Du so ein "bewegter" Mann bist, aber überlege Dir sehr gut, auf welche Weise Du Dein Leben veränderst. Apropos Alter und Beziehungen, da kann ich Dir wenig sagen... Du weisst ja, ich stehe auf ältere -richtige- Männer, und da kann ich nur schwer Deine Verzweiflung nachempfinden... aber schon verstehen. Es gibt nicht nur einen Mann fürs Leben (Erinnerst Du Dich an den Ausdrück der LH "Lebensauschnittspartner"?). Es gibt mehrere davon, die, je nach Lebenszeit, die Hauptrolle spielen. Mit der Zeit wirst Du immer jemanden haben, mit dem Du glücklich bist. Die Auszeiten müssen wir alle ja geduldsam ertragen - da kann ich Dir ein Lied von singen... Doch wo Hoffnung ist, da ist auch Leben - und andersrum. Je nach Lebensalter wirst Du diese Person kennenlernen, die Dein Leben erfüllt. Macht Dich nicht verrückt wegen Probleme, die noch nicht da sind: dies ist albern. Geniesse den Tag und denke, egal wie alt Du bist, Du siehst immer besser aus: dies wäre die (auf)richtige Einstellung. Die wahre Schönheit kommt aus dem Innern - lache nicht!
    Sei fest umarmt. Dein Alberto.

    ResponderExcluir