Writing a diary and exposing it for anyone to see can be a very dangerous thing. Obviously we all want to be read, but ideally blogs should be read by total strangers so we can completely feel free to write about our darkest thoughts without having to worry about how writing this or that will affect the image people already have of us. The problem is basically that if you start a blog and want to be read you have to start by inviting people in. And you can not just do it with strangers. They will immediately assume it is like one of those virus-ridden spams that invite you to click and access the best nude pics of Asian teens ever only before infecting your PC with all kinds of trojans and next generation worms.
One more reason why I cannot trust anyone. Because we all have many faces. Well, at least I do. For instance, just ask my brother and my sidekick Edu about me and then compare both opinions with that of my boyfriend Matt. Three different personas with only the name in common. Fully exposing the different versions of me would be shocking to all of them and this could have catastrophic consequences in my life. And I am not kidding. Separation and divorce being some of them.
Maybe you are a much more simple human being and never had this kind of concerns.. Somehow I doubt it. At the end of the day we are always acting. Our different roles depending mostly on the audience (and who's paying). I am positive even Eva Braun saw a rather different Adolf to the one we all know. And I am sure so did Stalins mom, for as much as I am concerned.
I have my suspicion that whoever invented and developed the first blog sites that allow anonymous people to write about their frustrated lives was problaby recieving money from the Government. Now you must think that this is just another bonkers conspiracy theory. Let me put it this way. Our governors are always worried about any threat that could disrupt peace in an every day more neurotic society. And I know for a fact that some people out there are real walking time bombs. We all have seen them. We all can spot them in our circles, be it acquaintances, work colleagues, relatives or even friends. The sad truth is that in today's neurotic society people hurt. And they hurt a lot. Now that I think about it, I believe we all are in some degree timebombs. But many around us are really living at the edge. Pain and suffer is accumulating behind their dull facade. All you need to do is to scratch a bit on that surface and you will see that the inner clock is ticking and it is just a question of time that the pettiest reason will set them off and simply go postal. Hiroshima and Nagasaki would just be a prank comparing to the result if people really let go what has been boiling inside. And I am talking of megatons.
Society needed a place like this for us to vent off all the inner turmoils. Because we are sensible people who know better than just wait until Sunday for our weekly football match when we can leave work, wife and children behind and, among our peers, let our inner beast out for a couple of hours before duly heading home for diner.
Blogging is merely a more sofisticated (and subtle) tool that lets us, law-abiding citizens with a delicate soul, to discretly yell all we need to yell. For us it is certainly cathartic and purifying, for you reader, hopefully even entertaining.
Parabéns, Lluís. Molt amè i enginyós. Un bes des de València.
ResponderExcluirI forgot something. When you say "we can leave work, wife and children", if only you could change "wife" (or "husband", if that had been the case) for "spouse" (as Spanish Civil Code did in 2005, to allow same-sex marriage), it would avoid any sexism...
ResponderExcluirSi, es veritat el que dius, i realment fa sentit canviar-ho. De qualsevol manera, eu m´estaba distanciant d´un grup social amb ell que no tinc molt de relació, i que -suposadament- nomes tindría dona com a spouse.
ResponderExcluirSomething that makes me uncomfortable about facebook and the like is the fact that all contacts - work, family, friends - get access to the same info about me and my other contacts and as you mention in this post we are different personalities in one... and that's the way I want it too.
ResponderExcluir